Monday, January 19, 2015

TT5 - 5 Most Anticipated New Bonnaroo Acts

For anyone who's talked to me in the last few months knows that for the first time in my life, I'm experiencing Bonnaroo this summer. Bonnaroo is over my birthday every year and I've always wanted to go. My friend and I just decided this past summer that 2015 was going to be our year and bought tickets on the Black Friday presale. So in the spirit of Bonnarro, today's Tuesday Top 5 ranks the top 5 bands that I'm most excited to see for the first time at Bonnaroo 2015. There are plenty of acts that I have seen already and am STOKED for (Slayer, Benjamin Booker, Kendrick Lamar, etc.), but this list is only for bands that I haven't seen before.

5) Unlocking the Truth
This band of teenagers (they are all approximately 14) is a heavy metal band that is actually worth all of the hype about them. Yes that was my stab at Babymetal. Unlocking the Truth was recently signed to Sony Records so their first full official release is still to come, but I can speak for the entire heavy metal community in saying that it is highly anticipated.

4) Pallbearer
I recently started getting into doom metal (like in the last 9 months) and Pallbearer are one of the newest and freshest bands in the genre. When Pallbearer was announced for Roo, it was a dream come true. I hope they're playing at night or else rocking out to doom metal with the sun still up will just feel down right strange.

3) Sturgill Simpson
Despite being a huge metal head, I still love great old school country music. Sturgill is by far the most refreshing artist in the entire genre. He's a truly great songwriter and has such an old school delivery that is just not found in too many other country artists today. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Sturgill Simpson for the fist time at the farm this year.

2) Royal Blood
I have heard about Royal Blood for some time now, just never really gave them the time of day until they were announced for Roo 2015. I listened to their debut album "Out of the Black" and was blown away. This heavy blues rock duo is comprised only of a bassist and a drummer. The amount of music and heaviness that comes out of just two men is amazing. Like Pallbearer, it would feel strange if Royal Blood have a set scheduled for the daytime.

1) Robert Plant
I have never come anywhere close to seeing a member of Led Zeppelin, so I'm blown away that Robert Plant will be at the farm this summer. I know that Robert Plant's true love is worldly new age style music, but it's Robert freaking Plant of Led freaking Zeppelin. Even if only a third of the set list is reimagined LZ classics, I'll be a happy man.


No comments:

Post a Comment