Tuesday, November 25, 2014

American Pop Music Awards Rant

I usually always internalize my music award show rants (they occur quite frequently), but now I have a platform to put my thoughts into print, so I'm taking it.

My usual beef with awards show is their categories. For example Lorde won a VMA for Best Rock Video. Think about that......Lorde. Best Rock Video. Lorde is great. I am in no way bashing Lorde, but she is not rock music. She's a pop singer (and a really good one at that). She beat out Arctic Monkeys, The Black Keys, Imagine Dragons, and Linkin Park to win this award. Three out of five ain't bad MTV (I'll let you guess at who the other non-Rock artist was listed there). MTV rant is another day, another post.

For some reason the American Music Awards decides to group pop music and rock music into the same category. The following bands / singers were nominated in the Pop / Rock category.
  • John Legend
  • Sam Smith
  • Pharrell Williams
  • Iggy Azalea
  • Lorde
  • Katy Perry
  • Imagine Dragons
  • One Direction
  • OneRepublic
Is it just me or are there no rock bands / singers in that list? I'm OK with excluding rock music from your music awards show, but don't pretend to include rock music in your show by having a Pop/Rock category, and then failing to even nominate anyone rock! 

The lack of nominations does not accurately reflect the great efforts by rock bands in the past year. The following rock bands all released albums or songs in the past year: The Black Keys, Linkin Park, Jack White, Beck, and The Pretty Reckless (just to name a few). No I do not think that all of these bands / albums should be included in a "best of" category, but surely they can find room to fit one of them in.......

That's all for now. Another rant, another day, another post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment