Sunday, December 14, 2014

I Like What I Like........So What's Wrong With Me?

I like: Ray Charles, The Black Keys, Scorpions, Metallica, Jack White, Yelawolf, Jay Z, Slayer, Marilyn Manson, The Beatles, Eric Church, Bob Marley, Garth Brooks.

I don't like: U2, Taylor Swift, Coldplay, Jason Aldean, Michael Buble, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Fall Out Boy, Awolnation, Blake Shelton, OneRepublic, Pitbull, Bon Jovi, Journey.

Am I crazy because I like / don't like this combination of artists? Only if you're crazy because you don't. I like what I like. I don't like what I don't like. You like what you like. We all like what we like. Are we crazy because we have opinions about what we like? The answer is no. Everyone is entitled to their opinion especially in taste of music.

What I like is not necessarily popular or cool or even fits under the same genre umbrella. My musical umbrella is an ever growing one. It is not dictated by what is on the radio. Sure I may discover a band by hearing them on the radio, but then I do my homework on them and give their music (not just that one song that is popular right now) a listen and then decide for myself if they "fit" in my umbrella. But the beauty of music is that it's my umbrella. We all have one. Mine is different than yours and yours is different than the person you're sitting next to. Music is about a feeling. It evokes so many feelings and emotions in such a short period of time. And if a band or artist evokes a feeling that you like, then give them a chance. If not, then just move on to the next one. There will be plenty of other musical options for you down the road.

Are you crazy if you don't like a band like say...Bon Jovi? I mean for crying out loud they are one of the most popular bands of all time and they still make hundreds of millions of dollars when they tour. No. No you're not crazy. Just like the millions of fans that bow to JBJ aren't crazy for liking him. Their music just doesn't do it for you. And that's fine!

I tip my hat to those who like a band simply because they like a band. They discovered them and allowed their music into their music into their lives all on their own. Sure maybe a friend recommended them or they heard their most popular song on the radio, but they sought out the whole picture of who they were as artists.

If you are a person who lets popular radio dictate your tastes, I have a challenge for you. The next time you hear a song that sounds interesting, I want you to look up the rest of the album that that song comes from and listen to it cover to cover. I don't care why the song intrigues you, but listen to the entire album that it belongs on. You can listen to the album in the car, at home, at work, I don't care. With services like YouTube and Spotify (both free) that entire album is just a click away. Once you've listened to that album, don't stop there. If you like it, keep going in that direction (both of those websites have recommendations based on what you're currently listening to). If you didn't like that album, then start this whole process over and find a new song that intrigues you. GO OUT AND DISCOVER MUSIC! Be your own judge on what is popular and cool. Trust me, it's very exciting when you find that new band that you just can't stop listening to. You want to tell all of your friends about it. That's the kind of emotion that turns music listeners into music lovers.

There is nothing wrong with you if you love the music that is played on popular radio. There is nothing wrong with you if you despise all music that makes top 40 radio waves. But only let yourself be the judge of that. Don't let someone tell you what you can and can't listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment